Mayo Clinic's approach
- Experience. Doctors trained in cardiovascular medicine and other areas have experience caring for people with heart conditions. More than 9,000 people undergo cardiac catheterizations at Mayo Clinic each year.
Team approach. Mayo Clinic staff in the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory collaborates with other specialty areas and offers treatment for several conditions, including carotid artery disease and peripheral artery disease.
Cardiologists with experience diagnosing and treating coronary artery disease collaborate to provide care for people with coronary artery disease and other heart conditions in the Coronary Artery Disease Clinic at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota.
The latest treatments. Mayo Clinic has pioneered several catheter-based therapies, including complex coronary artery revascularization, valve repair and valve replacement.
Mayo Clinic cardiologists use devices that don't require heart surgery to repair certain types of heart valve disorders, such as mitral valve regurgitation.
- Scheduling efficiency. A detailed itinerary for appointments, tests and procedures lets you make the most of your time at the clinic. The staff runs all tests and labs at Mayo Clinic, which means tests taken in the morning can be reviewed the same afternoon. This collaborative approach means doctors can often evaluate you and develop a treatment plan within two or three days.
The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Expertise and rankings
- Cardiac catheterization expertise. Mayo Clinic's Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory has been active for over 50 years. Mayo Clinic was among the first centers in the nation to develop and use diagnostic techniques through cardiac catheterization. More than 9,000 people have cardiac catheterizations at Mayo Clinic locations every year.
- Comprehensive cardiovascular treatment and research. Doctors in Mayo Clinic's Cardiovascular Research Center are focused on developing cutting-edge, catheter-based diagnostic tests and innovative treatments for people with cardiovascular disease.
- Pediatric expertise. At Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota, doctors trained in treating children who have heart diseases (pediatric cardiologists) perform cardiac catheterization in children. A magnetic navigation system at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota allows doctors to treat complex coronary artery blockages, including cases in which standard technology failed to open a blocked artery in the past.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic Children's Center in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
With Mayo Clinic's emphasis on collaborative care, specialists at each of the campuses — Minnesota, Arizona and Florida — interact very closely with colleagues at the other campuses and the Mayo Clinic Health System.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's Cardiovascular Surgery and Cardiovascular Medicine departments' expertise and rankings.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Explore Mayo Clinic studies testing new treatments, interventions and tests as a means to prevent, detect, treat or manage this disease.