Mayo Clinic's cardiac surgery practice is consistently recognized by external organizations for providing outstanding care. These endorsements reinforce our commitment to providing expert, whole-person care to everyone who needs healing.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic Children's Center in Rochester is ranked the No. 1 hospital in Minnesota, and the five-state region of Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin, according to U.S. News & World Report's 2021–2022 "Best Children's Hospitals" rankings.
Mayo Clinic is also recognized for high-quality cardiology and heart surgery subspecialty care, research and education by a variety of national organizations:
- Extracorporeal Life Support Organization. Mayo Clinic's campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota have received awards as Centers of Excellence in life support from the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization.
- Top-ranked education program. The Internal Medicine Residency program at Mayo Clinic College of Medicine at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota is ranked among the top performing programs by U.S. News & World Report and Doximity. Heart specialists train in an internal medicine residency program before completing cardiology subspecialty training.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's quality rankings.
Sept. 17, 2021
- U.S. News Best Hospitals 2020-21. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Sept. 23, 2020.
- Planning and financial services. Mayo Clinic. Feb. 26, 2019.
- Centers of Excellence. Extracorporeal Life Support Organization. https://www.elso.org/AwardofExcellence/CentersofExcellence.aspx. Accessed Dec. 9, 2020.
- Best Internal Medicine Programs. U.S. World News & Report. https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/internal-medicine-rankings. Accessed Sept. 23, 2020.
- Doximity Residency Navigator Internal Medicine Programs. Doximity, Inc. https://residency.doximity.com. Accessed Aug. 20, 2018.
- Innovative 2-step management strategy utilizing EXIT procedure for a fetus with hypoplastic left heart syndrome and intact atrial septum. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2019; doi: 10.1016/j.mayocp.2018.08.004.
- Gray WS (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. Oct. 26, 2020.
- Crestanello JA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. Nov. 9, 2020.