Mayo Clinic's approach
- Teamwork. In Mayo Clinic's Department of Clinical Genomics, medical geneticists and certified genetic counselors work together as a team, with other professionals as needed, to evaluate any type of genetic condition and coordinate a wide array of tests and procedures.
- Comprehensive services. The Department of Clinical Genomics provides diagnostic workup of rare and inherited conditions and genetics evaluation of hereditary cancer syndromes, takes a comprehensive family history, educates patients and families about familial diseases, and offers counseling for family members to improve understanding of how a genetic disorder may affect them.
- Advanced technology. The Department of Clinical Genomics provides access to the latest genomic testing techniques, when medically appropriate and on a case-by-case basis.
- Research. Mayo Clinic is recognized for outstanding contributions to research in genetics and genomics. Patients have opportunities to participate in genetic research studies to improve overall patient care. Mayo's Center for Individualized Medicine is involved in translating the latest scientific advances to clinical care.
The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Thankful for Tygh: The Derossett Family
Arriving full-term amidst a flurry of excitement, Tygh Derossett’s birth at a Kentucky hospital in 2016 mimicked that of most newborns. He cried, he received Apgar scoring, and he got a bath. On his second day of life, Tygh’s health care team took a few drops of his blood and sent it to Kentucky’s newborn screening lab. A few days later, Tygh left the hospital with his parents, Amanda and Aarron, and the new family…
How the right diagnosis and a new approach changed my life
Editor's note: This story was written by patient Lauren Quinn. I've always been an active girl. Running cross-country, playing lacrosse and dribbling down the basketball court is where I shined. But in 2008, my life was turned upside down, and it would be 13 years before things would get better. I vividly remember a family vacation when I started to feel exhausted, nauseous and weak. I was in fifth grade, and within a week the…
Genetics connects family members at the hip
As family members, Barbara Domaille, Deborah Neville, Pamela Neville, and Rylie Ronnenberg share many things in common that they treasure, and only one they wish they didn’t: a hip abnormality called femoroacetabular impingement. After undergoing genetic testing at Mayo Clinic, the four women learned that their collective hip woes were caused by a hidden genetic connection. And although that knowledge may not change how their condition is managed, it does offer some relief from nagging…
Expertise and rankings
- First in the U.S. to offer a lymphoma genomic diagnostic test for patients. Mayo Clinic created a test to help guide diagnosis and treatment of patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, the most common type of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Nationally recognized expertise. Mayo Clinic's Department of Clinical Genomics includes experienced board-certified medical geneticists and certified genetic counselors. Using a comprehensive team approach, they work with all age groups and levels of complexity, tailoring care to each individual's needs.
- Cutting-edge research. Mayo Clinic's Department of Clinical Genomics is recognized for outstanding contributions to research and has a long history of published studies regarding rare or novel genetic disorders.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Explore Mayo Clinic studies of tests and procedures to help prevent, detect, treat or manage conditions.