Mayo Clinic's approach
Teamwork. Mayo Clinic doctors in many areas — including heart disease specialists (cardiologists), heart surgeons (cardiovascular surgeons), anesthesiologists and nurse clinicians — work together to provide coordinated, comprehensive care.
The staff in the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program can help you improve your quality of life and health after heart surgery.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic heart surgeons (cardiovascular surgeons) have extensive experience performing coronary artery bypass.
- Advanced technology. Mayo Clinic cardiac surgeons use innovative surgical techniques, including minimally invasive heart surgery. These techniques may result in safer coronary bypass surgery, a shorter recovery period and the ability to safely perform surgery on older people.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors and surgeons conduct extensive coronary bypass surgery research. In clinical and laboratory research, investigators study potential new techniques for coronary bypass surgery. Learn more about research in the Cardiovascular Research Center.
- Nationally recognized expertise. Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, are ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart care and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Expertise and rankings
Mayo Clinic's heart surgeons provide comprehensive care for more than 800 people who have coronary bypass surgery each year.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's cardiovascular diseases and cardiac surgery departments' expertise and rankings.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Explore Mayo Clinic studies testing new treatments, interventions and tests as a means to prevent, detect, treat or manage this disease.
Oct. 24, 2018
- Coronary artery bypass grafting. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/coronary-artery-bypass-grafting. Accessed Sept. 28, 2018.
- What is coronary bypass surgery? American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/consumer-healthcare/answers-by-heart-fact-sheets/answers-by-heart-fact-sheets-treatments-and-tests. Accessed Sept. 28, 2018.
- Jameson JL, et al., eds. Ischemic heart disease.. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 20th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2018. https://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com. Accessed Sept. 28, 2018.
- Aranki S, et al. Early noncardiac complications of coronary artery bypass graft surgery. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Sept.29, 2018.
- AskMayoExpert. Cardiac rehabilitation goals (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2018.
- Patel MR, et al. ACC/AATS/AHA/ASE/ASNC/SCAI/SCCT/STS 2017 appropriate use criteria for coronary revascularization in patients with stable ischemic heart disease. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2017;69:2212.
- Aranki S, et al. Early cardiac complications of coronary artery bypass graft surgery. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Sept. 29, 2018.
- Brown A. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 14, 2018.