Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Aug. 12, 2017
- Artificial pacemaker. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/PreventionTreatmentofArrhythmia/Artificial-Pacemaker_UCM_448480_Article.jsp#.VqmHgPkrLIU. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- Marx JA, et al., eds. Implantable cardiac devices. In: Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- Pacemaker. Heart Rhythm Society. http://www.hrsonline.org/Patient-Resources/Treatment/Pacemaker. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- Gillis HM, et al. HRS/ACCF expert consensus statement on pacemaker device and mode selection. Rhythm. 2012;9:1344.
- What is a pacemaker? American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@hcm/documents/downloadable/ucm_300451.pdf. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- Zipes DP, et al., eds. Implantable pacemakers. In: Cardiac Electrophysiology: From Cell to Bedside. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- What is a pacemaker? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/pace/. Accessed Jan. 27, 2016.
- What is the heart? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hhw#. Accessed Jan. 27, 2016.
- Pacemaker implantation. NHS Choices. http://www.nhs.uk/Pages/Preview.aspx?site=PacemakerImplantation&print=635895492679634634&JScript=0. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- Hayes DL. Permanent cardiac pacing: Overview of devices and indications. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. About your pacemaker implantation. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2010.
- Gura MT. Considerations in patients with cardiac implantable electronic devices at end of life. AACN Advanced Critical Care. 2015;26:356.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 13, 2016.
- Miller MA, et al. Leadless cardiac pacemakers: Back to the future. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2015;66:1179.
- Reddy VY, et al. Percutaneous implantation of an entirely intracardiac leadless pacemaker. The Lancet. 2015;37:1125.
- Mankad R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 8, 2016.