Mayo Clinic's approach
Heart Surgery Re-imagined.
Click here for an infographic to learn more
Your Mayo Clinic team
At Mayo Clinic, doctors trained in heart disease (cardiologists), doctors trained in heart surgery (cardiac surgeons), anesthesiologists and other health care professionals trained in minimally invasive heart surgery work closely as a multidisciplinary team to provide coordinated, comprehensive care. The Mayo Clinic treatment team works with you to ensure a full, smooth recovery after surgery.
- Comprehensive evaluation and care. Mayo doctors take the time to get to know you and work with you to provide exactly the care you need. They'll evaluate you to determine if you're a candidate for minimally invasive heart surgery. In some cases, doctors may recommend open surgery instead. Your doctor will discuss your individual needs and lifestyle to determine the most appropriate treatment for you.
- Advanced treatment. Mayo Clinic heart surgeons work with an experienced and trained surgical team to perform minimally invasive heart surgery, including robot-assisted heart surgery and thoracoscopic surgery. Minimally invasive heart surgery may have several advantages to open-heart surgery such as smaller scars, a shorter hospital stay and a quicker recovery. Your treatment team may suggest you participate in the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program at Mayo Clinic. Cardiac rehabilitation is a program of exercise and education to help you recover and improve your health after surgery.
- Research and innovation. Mayo Clinic heart surgeons and researchers actively study potential new techniques, advanced technology and new developments for minimally invasive heart surgery in clinical and laboratory research.
Robot-assisted heart surgery team at Mayo Clinic
A Mayo Clinic surgeon and surgical team assist with robot-assisted heart surgery, while another surgeon sits at a remote console controlling the robotic arms.
Expertise and rankings
Mayo Clinic heart surgeons have extensive training and experience in performing minimally invasive heart surgery to treat a wide variety of heart conditions. Mayo Clinic heart surgeons perform more than 700 minimally invasive heart surgeries each year, including robot-assisted heart surgery and thoracoscopic surgery.
Heart valve disease experience
Mayo Clinic doctors have experience evaluating and treating people with heart valve disease in the Valvular Heart Disease Clinic.
Pediatric heart care expertise
Pediatric heart specialists, including pediatric cardiologists and pediatric heart surgeons, are experienced in evaluating and treating children with heart disease at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota. Pediatric heart surgeons have experience performing minimally invasive heart surgery in older children. Youth needing hospitalization receive care at Mayo Eugenio Litta Children's Hospital at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic campuses are nationally recognized for expertise in cardiology and cardiovascular surgery:
- Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
- Mayo Clinic Children's Center in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
With Mayo Clinic's emphasis on collaborative care, specialists at each of the campuses — Minnesota, Arizona and Florida — interact closely with colleagues at the other campuses and the Mayo Clinic Health System, giving you the broadest possible range of expertise.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Explore Mayo Clinic studies testing new treatments, interventions and tests as a means to prevent, detect, treat or manage this disease.
Feb. 25, 2020