Talha Niaz, M.B.B.S., is a Pediatric, Fetal and Genetic Cardiologist who specializes in multimodality cardiovascular imaging of the fetus, child, and young adults. He also specializes in Vascular Cardiology and Cardiovascular Genetics, and a large part of his clinical practice includes caring for children and young adults with genetically mediated structural heart diseases, including rare and undiagnosed conditions.
Dr. Niaz obtained his residency training in pediatrics and subspeciality training in pediatric cardiology at Mayo Clinic. He then obtained his advanced non-invasive cardiac imaging and cardiovascular genetics training at Texas Children's Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine.
As a Cardiovascular Geneticist, Dr. Niaz specializes in the diagnosis and management of patients with conditions that are associated with aortic dilation, aortic aneurysm, and aortic dissection. Moreover, he specializes in the care of the patients with structural heart diseases and associated genetic conditions or syndromic disorders like Williams-Beuren syndrome, Turner syndrome, DiGeorge Syndrome and other chromosomal disorders. As a Vascular Cardiologist, Dr. Niaz focuses on the care of patients with arterial or venous aneurysms.
- Cardiovascular Genetics and care of children with genetic and inherited structural heart diseases.
- Genetic Aortic Conditions: Marfan Syndrome, Vascular Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS type IV), Loeys-Dietz-syndrome, Turner syndrome, Bicuspid aortic valve, Familial thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissection (FTAAD), Arterial tortuosity syndrome, FLNA arteriopathy, Myhre syndrome, FBLN4/EFEMP2/Cutis laxa.
- Syndromic and Genetic Disorders with Structural Heart Diseases: Williams-Beuren syndrome, ELN arteriopathy, Alagille syndrome, DiGeorge Syndrome/22q11.2 deletion syndrome, Kabuki syndrome, Holt-Oram Syndrome, Noonan Syndrome and related disorders (RASopathies), Microdeletion/microduplication syndromes, Chromosomal disorders.
- Genetic Cardiomyopathies: Disorders of the myocardium, including hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, restrictive cardiomyopathy, dilated cardiomyopathy, left ventricular non-compaction and metabolic cardiomyopathy.
- Rare and Undiagnosed Cardiac Disorders.
- Gene Therapy for Inherited Cardiovascular Disorders.
- Fetal Cardiology and Fetal Cardiovascular Intervention.
- Echocardiography: transthoracic, transesophageal and fetal.
- Cardiac MRI and CT in pediatric and adult congenital heart diseases.
Mayo Clinic locations
Advanced FellowshipAdvanced Non-Invasive Cardiac Imaging Fellowship, Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, Texas Children's Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine
Advanced FellowshipCardiovascular Genetics Fellowship, Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, Texas Children's Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine
FellowshipPediatric Cardiology, Programs in Rochester, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
ResidencyDepartment of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
ResidentPediatric and Adolescent Medic, Programs in Rochester, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
Research TraineeDivision of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine
Medical SchoolPunjab Medical College
HSSCPunjab College of Science
Activities and honors
PediatricsAmerican Board of Pediatrics
Awards and honors
The Marfan Foundation and GenTAC Aortic Summit - Science in Paris Scholarships AwardThe Marfan Foundation
Reed Pyeritz and Jane Tumpson Physician Scholarship AwardThe Marfan Foundation
Kathleen H. Rhodes Award for Excellence in Education Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science
Young Investigator Award by American Academy of PediatricsAmerican Academy of Pediatrics
James W. DuShane Award in recognition of excellence in Medical EducationDepartment of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine
C. Anderson Aldrich Award in recognition of excellence in Medical ResearchDepartment of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine
Gunnar B. Stickler Award in recognition for excellence in Patient CareDepartment of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine
Young Investigator Award Competition FinalistAmerican Academy of Pediatrics
Best Medical GraduatePunjab Medical College
Gold Medal in PediatricsPunjab Medical College
Gold Medal in Community MedicinePunjab Medical College
Gold Medal in PathologyPunjab Medical College
Gold Medal in AnatomyPunjab Medical College
Gold Medal in BiochemistryPunjab Medical College
Gold Medal in PhysiologyPunjab Medical College
Silver Medal in Internal MedicinePunjab Medical College
Merit No. 1 out of 18,623 candidates in MCATUniversity of Health Sciences
1st Position in HSSCBoard of Intermediate Education
- 2022 - present
MemberSociety for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
- 2022 - present
MemberAmerican Society of Echocardiography
- 2022 - present
MemberMontalcino Aortic Consortium
- 2021 - present
MemberAmerican Society of Gene & Cell Therapy
- 2018 - present
MemberAmerican Heart Association
- 2017 - 2018
Resident, Member BoardMN American Academy of Pediatrics
- 2017 - 2018
Member of the boardMN American Academy of Pediatrics
- 2016 - present
MemberMidwest Pediatric Cardiology Society
- 2015 - present
MemberAmerican Academy of Pediatrics