Becoming a Volunteer
Adult volunteers must be at least 18 years old, including college students.
- Complete and submit an application. Once received, a volunteer coordinator will call you for an interview.
- A background check and TB screening will be performed at no cost to you.
- Proof of immunity for measles, mumps, rubella, varicella and in some cases, hepatitis B, are required to volunteer. Volunteers must provide this proof of immunity from either shot records and/or positive titers. Volunteers are not able to complete this requirement at Mayo. They must do this on their own.
- You will receive a volunteer handbook and other required education materials to read, after which you'll sign a confirmation of understanding and compliance documents that will be kept on file.
- You will purchase a uniform ($20 to $85, depending on the service area).
- A photo ID badge and parking decal will be issued.
- All volunteers must attend a group orientation within three months of their start date.
- One-on-one skill training in your assigned service area will be provided. You may train as often and as long as is necessary for you to be comfortable in your role.
- This multistep orientation will conclude in three months with a meeting with the director of Volunteer Services.
- Most volunteers work at least one four-hour shift a week, depending on the service area.
- You may be asked to secure a substitute should you be absent. If so, you will be provided a list of substitutes trained in your service area.
Mayo Clinic typically offers a summer program for teens from age 15 through the time you graduate from high school.
- The 2021 summer program is NOT operating.
- Home-schooled students and students who participate in an early college or dual enrollment program may have the opportunity to volunteer year-round.
- If accepted, three letters of recommendation from a nonrelated teacher, pastor or other group leader are required in lieu of an electronic background check.
- If accepted, students must have a TB skin test performed. They must also provide proof of immunity of measles, mumps, rubella and varicella.
- You must have your own transportation. A parking decal will be issued if you are driving.
- You must purchase a volunteer shirt ($20).
- Group orientation attendance with one parent or guardian is required prior to your start date. At least one parent or guardian will need to co-sign all required paperwork.