An abdominal aortic aneurysm is a dangerous condition in which a part of your body's main artery (aorta) is enlarged and in danger of rupturing.
Acromegaly is an uncommon hormonal disorder caused by the overproduction of growth hormone. It typically causes signs such as enlarged hands and feet.
Addison's disease occurs when your adrenal glands produce insufficient amounts of certain important hormones. Treatment may include taking corticosteroids.
Bladder cancer is often diagnosed early — when it's most treatable. But even with successful treatment, bladder cancer survivors need follow-up tests for years to come.
Brucellosis is an infectious disease that spreads from animals to people, mainly via unpasteurized dairy products. Travelers should take special care to avoid infection.
Take control of your mood and health. Explore the many depression treatment options and learn coping skills.
Reduce eyestrain by following these simple tips.
Gallstones often don't cause symptoms. But if you have a gallbladder attack, you're not likely to forget it.
A monthly period is bad enough. Add in painful menstrual cramps, and you may be cursing this thing called womanhood. How do you get relief?
Neuroblastoma most commonly affects children age 5 and younger. It's the most common form of cancer in babies.
One of the most feared diseases of the 20th century, polio has been eradicated from the developed world but remains a threat in less developed nations.
Polymyalgia rheumatica is an inflammatory disorder that causes pain and stiffness in the neck, shoulders, upper arms, hips and thighs.
Porphyria is a group of inherited disorders that result from buildup of natural chemicals call porphyrins, which can cause nervous system and skin problems.
Prostatitis, inflammation of the prostate gland, can cause significant male pelvic pain and other symptoms.
Pseudotumor cerebri — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, treatment of increased pressure inside the skull.
Some people with psoriasis may develop joint pain called psoriatic arthritis. Get the basics here.
Scoliosis is an abnormal curvature of the spine. Most cases are mild, but severe cases may require treatment with braces or surgery.
If you have symptoms of heart disease, but your doctor doesn't see any blocked major arteries, small vessel disease may be the cause.
All teens feel down from time to time. But if negative feelings persist or start to interfere with daily life, it might be depression.
Uterine fibroids are noncancerous tumors of the uterus. Medical therapy and surgical procedures can shrink or remove uterine fibroids.
Sept. 11, 2012
- Low back pain fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/backpain/detail_backpain.htm. Accessed July 15, 2012.
- Adult acute and subacute low back pain. Bloomington, Minn.: Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement. http://www.icsi.org/low_back_pain/adult_low_back_pain__8.html. Accessed July 10, 2012.
- Balague F, et al. Non-specific low back pain. The Lancet. 2012;379:482.
- Wheeler SG, et al. Approach to the diagnosis and evaluation of low back pain in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 14, 2012.
- Duffy RL. Low back pain: An approach to diagnosis and management. Primary Care Clinics Office Practice. 2010;37:729.