Caring Canines is a formal animal-assisted activities program launched in September 2011 at both the Phoenix and Scottsdale campuses of Mayo Clinic. Registered dogs and their owners make "meet and greet" visits in hospital and clinic waiting areas. Dogs are tested and registered by Pet Partners.
To be eligible for Caring Canines:
- Handlers must be at least 21 years old
- Handlers and their dog(s) must be currently certified by Pet Partners at a "complex" rating
- Handlers and their dog(s) must have one year of experience volunteering in a health care setting
- Dogs must be up to date on mandatory vaccinations:
- Bordetella (kennel cough)
- Distemper, hepatitis and parvovirus
- Most recent fecal exam showing negative for parasite ova
To apply for Caring Canines, complete and submit the online application. After you submit your completed application, certifications and vaccination records, Mayo Clinic Volunteer Services will contact you to schedule an interview for you and your dog.
For more information, contact Mayo Clinic Volunteer Services.
Sept. 13, 2017