Mayo Clinic's approach
At Mayo Clinic, neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons use their vast experience with spinal fusion techniques to help provide exactly the treatment and care you need for your specific condition.
- Teamwork. People who need spinal fusion sometimes need other types of back surgery at the same time. Mayo Clinic's integrated practice gives you access to all the experts needed to solve your problems.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic surgeons have decades of experience in performing spinal fusions. They can repair many types of very complex spinal problems.
- Technology. State-of-the-art imaging technology helps Mayo physicians diagnose back and neck problems. The correct diagnosis is key to successful treatment. Advanced imaging and brain-monitoring techniques during spinal fusion surgeries help improve safety and outcomes.
The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Expertise and rankings
- Experience. Mayo Clinic orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons perform more than 2,000 spinal fusions each year.
- Advanced techniques. Mayo surgeons can perform spinal fusion from the back, front or side of the spine and have access to the newest varieties of bone-fusing materials. Minimally invasive approaches are selected, when appropriate.
- Efficient care. Often, you can be evaluated and have surgery within a few days.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida, rank among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic Children's Center in Rochester is ranked the No. 1 hospital in Minnesota, and the five-state region of Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin, according to U.S. News & World Report's 2022–2023 "Best Children's Hospitals" rankings.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida, are ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report.
Learn more about the expertise and rankings of Mayo Clinic's neurosurgery and orthopedic surgery departments.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Explore Mayo Clinic studies of tests and procedures to help prevent, detect, treat or manage conditions.
Dec. 28, 2022