Departments and specialties
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States,
with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work
together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Departments with related expertise
Areas that research this procedure
Doctors and scientists at Mayo Clinic are studying ways to use and improve palliative medicine and how to integrate this type of care into the care received by people with serious illness. Mayo Clinic researchers study palliative medicine for people living with serious or life-threatening illness.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic authors on palliative medicine on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Palliative care care at Mayo Clinic
Aug. 15, 2017
- Get palliative care. Center to Advance Palliative Care. https://getpalliativecare.org/whatis/. Accessed Oct. 28, 2015.
- National consensus project for quality palliative care. Clinical Practice Guidelines for Quality Palliative Care. 3rd ed. 2013. http://www.nationalconsensusproject.org/. Accessed Oct. 28, 2015.
- Kamal AF, et al. Palliative care consultations in patients with cancer: A Mayo Clinic 5-year review. Journal of Oncology Practice. 2011;7:48.
- AskMayoExpert. Palliative care and end-of-life hospice. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Kelley AS, et al. Palliative care for the seriously ill. New England Journal of Medicine. 2015;373:747.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 30, 2015.
- Gosh A, et al. Interaction of palliative care and primary care. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine. 2015;31:207.
- Wordingham SE, et al. Overview of palliative care and hospice services. Clinical Liver Disease. 2015;6:30.
- Palliative care: The relief you need when you're experiencing the symptoms of serious illness. National Institute of Nursing Research. http://www.ninr.nih.gov/newsandinformation/publications/palliative-care-brochure#.VjJ0rberRph. Accessed Oct. 29, 2015.
- Resources and frequently asked questions. National Institute of Nursing Research. http://www.ninr.nih.gov/newsandinformation/conversationsmatter/conversations-matter-newportal#.VjJv7LerRpg. Accessed Oct. 29, 2015.
- Stern TA, et al. Psychiatric and ethical aspects of care at the end of life. Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. Accessed Oct. 28, 2015.
- Tomasz RO. Overview of comprehensive patient assessment in palliative care. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 28, 2015.
- Strand JJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 8, 2015.