Mayo Clinic's approach
- Expertise. At Mayo Clinic, acupuncture is done only by doctors trained in acupuncture and by licensed acupuncturists trained in traditional Chinese medicine.
- Personalized care in a soothing, relaxing environment. At Mayo Clinic, acupuncture treatments are tailored to your unique needs, concerns and diagnosis. Mayo Clinic treatment rooms dedicated to acupuncture have soft music and gentle lighting. This helps create an optimal relaxation response while your practitioner places the needles.
- Integrated care. At Mayo Clinic, acupuncture specialists integrate their care with the care provided by your other doctors to blend the best of conventional treatments and integrative practices.
Expertise and rankings
- Experience. Each year Mayo Clinic specialists in integrative practices — sometimes called complementary and alternative medicine — perform about 1,100 acupuncture treatments.
- Research leader. The evidence-based acupuncture approaches used by Mayo Clinic's integrative medicine experts have been tested for effectiveness and safety. Mayo Clinic's researchers and practitioners study and improve practices that help people and work well with conventional medical treatments.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.