COPD care at Mayo Clinic
- Team approach. Mayo Clinic specialists in pulmonary medicine work with a wide array of specialties and collaborate as a team to provide coordinated, comprehensive care. Doctors work together so that you receive all the expertise needed to identify your problem and find an effective solution.
- Comprehensive diagnosis and treatment options. Virtually every test and therapy for diagnosis and treatment of COPD is available at Mayo Clinic, including pulmonary function testing, lung volume reduction surgery, endoscopic lung volume reduction and lung transplant. Mayo Clinic offers state-of-the-art tobacco cessation treatment and pulmonary rehabilitation programs.
- Treatment expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors have expertise in many treatments for COPD and other lung conditions. Mayo specialists also have expertise in treating alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency, a genetic form of emphysema that is often unrecognized.
- Individualized care. Doctors at Mayo Clinic provide care for you as a whole person. Doctors take the time to get to know you and work with you to provide exactly the care you need.
The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Expertise and rankings
- Experience and expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors have expertise and experience in treating chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Doctors at Mayo treat thousands of people each year who have COPD. Mayo Clinic is recognized for top-quality pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine by a variety of national organizations.
- Latest treatment options. Mayo Clinic offers the latest treatments, including the testing and medical expertise to help decide which option is appropriate for you. For example, Mayo experts perform endoscopic lung volume reduction, which is a minimally invasive procedure that results in fewer side effects and a shorter hospital stay compared with surgical lung volume reduction procedures.
- Research. Mayo Clinic experts have been involved in many clinical research trials in COPD. Mayo pulmonary specialists continue to conduct research, including clinical trials, to improve diagnostic tests and treatment options for COPD.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.