Center for Tobacco-Free Living
Providing information about tobacco dependence through research, personal stories and special treatment programs.
If you're like many smokers and tobacco users, you know you should quit, but you just aren't sure how to do it. Sure, going cold turkey on the spur of the moment may work for some people, but you'll improve your chances of success when you enlist the help of your health care team.
Mayo Clinic provides top-quality, evidence-based care in a nonjudgmental and supportive manner to help you stop smoking. Your treatment team works with you to develop an effective stop-smoking plan to enhance your motivation and the skills needed to quit when you're ready.
Below is a helpful resource on this topic. Mayo Clinic does not own or control all of these sites and is not responsible for the content. Inclusion of an online resource does not imply endorsement by Mayo Clinic.
Explore Mayo Clinic studies testing new treatments, interventions and tests as a means to prevent, detect, treat or manage this disease.
Stop-smoking services care at Mayo Clinic
Aug. 10, 2017
- Stead LF, et al. Nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000146.pub4/full. Accessed Jan. 6, 2017.
- Stead LF, et al. Physician advice for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000165.pub4/full. Accessed Jan. 6, 2017.
- J. Taylor Hays, M.D. (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 6, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Tobacco use: Adult. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Siu AL. Behavioral and pharmacotherapy interventions for tobacco smoking cessation in adults, including pregnant women: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2015;163:622.
- Rigotti NA. Overview of smoking cessation management in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 6, 2017.