Atrial septal defect care at Mayo Clinic
- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in heart disease (cardiologists), doctors trained in treating children with heart disease (pediatric cardiologists), doctors trained in heart surgery (cardiovascular surgeons) and others have many years of experience evaluating and treating adults and children with atrial septal defects and other congenital heart diseases. Mayo doctors evaluate and treat more than 3,200 people with atrial septal defects each year.
- Multidisciplinary team. Mayo Clinic doctors work together as a multidisciplinary team to provide you with coordinated care.
- Treatment expertise. Doctors at Mayo Clinic have expertise treating atrial septal defects with many options. Doctors repair atrial septal defects with catheter procedures, minimally invasive heart surgery or open-heart surgery.
- Congenital heart disease treatment. Mayo Clinic cardiologists and others have experience and expertise treating congenital heart diseases, including atrial septal defects. A multidisciplinary team in the Center for Congenital Heart Disease at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota treats adults and children with congenital heart disease.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors study potential diagnostic tests and treatments for atrial septal defect and other congenital heart diseases and conduct clinical trials.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery and for rehabilitation by U.S. News & World Report.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.