Watch Mayo Clinic cardiologists and others discuss many conditions and treatments related to cardiovascular diseases and cardiovascular surgery.
Mayo Clinic has tailored a unique and effective approach for people who wish to be proactive in maintaining their heart health. The staff in the Cardiovascular Health Clinic at Mayo Clinic's campuses in Florida and Minnesota is focused on the needs of people of all ages at risk of heart disease and those who have already developed heart disease. The clinic staff helps you understand your current state of cardiovascular health and how you can reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease.
The staff in the Cardiovascular Health Clinic works together as a multidisciplinary team to coordinate your care. The team may include:
- Preventive cardiologists
- Exercise physiologists
- Nurse practitioners
- Registered nurses trained in risk factor modification and cholesterol management
- Clinical exercise specialists
- Cardiopulmonary exercise test technicians
- Registered dietitians
The Cardiovascular Health Clinic offers advanced diagnostic and examination facilities and equipment. Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota also includes a cardiac rehabilitation center with many unique features, including:
- An indoor walking track
- A variety of aerobic and strengthening exercise equipment
- A teaching kitchen
The Cardiovascular Health Clinic staff offers many services, including risk assessment and risk reduction services.
In the Cardiovascular Health Clinic, you'll participate in a comprehensive risk assessment that may include:
- Providing staff with information regarding your lifestyle habits, family health history, symptoms and quality of life
- Laboratory tests, including blood tests and tests for inherited risk factors for heart disease
- Advanced testing to identify calcium in your heart or thickening of your body arteries
- Tests to measure your body fat
- Other specialized testing to determine if you are at risk of heart attacks or strokes
- A physical examination by a doctor or nurse practitioner
Staff members who have expertise in preventive therapies will work with you to develop an individual plan of action to minimize your risk of cardiovascular disease. Plans may include:
- Physical activity counseling
- Nutrition counseling
- Exercise training
- Training to become active in your office
- Weight-loss goals and plans
- Preventive medications
- Smoking cessation counseling and treatment
- Techniques for behavioral and lifestyle changes
- Referral for interventional tests or treatments when needed, such as coronary angiography, or coronary angioplasty and stents
- Stress management training
- Other assessments and treatments for co-existing conditions, such as joint and muscle pain, diabetes, or depression
You may choose a one-time evaluation or a long-term program. A one-time evaluation occurs during one to three days, and you'll then return to your local primary doctor. The long-term program includes periodic follow-up for you at the Cardiovascular Health Clinic. Cardiac rehabilitation services are also available if you have known heart disease.
The Cardiovascular Health Clinic participates in a variety of innovative research activities. Learn more about research in the Cardiovascular Research Center.
You may be referred by your primary doctor, or you may make an appointment without a referral. Not all services may be available at all locations. Please confirm when you request an appointment.
For appointments or more information about the Cardiovascular Health Clinic at Mayo Clinic's campus in Florida, call the Central Appointment Office at 904-953-0853 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday, or complete an online appointment request form.
For appointments or more information about the Cardiovascular Health Clinic at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota, call the Department of Cardiovascular Medicine at 507-284-3994 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central time, Monday through Friday, or complete an online appointment request form.
See physician staff.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic campuses are nationally recognized for expertise in cardiology and cardiovascular surgery:
- Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
- Mayo Clinic Children's Center in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
- Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.