Mayo Clinic's approach
At Mayo Clinic, neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons draw upon their vast experience with spinal fusion techniques to help provide exactly the treatment and care you need for your specific condition.
- Teamwork. People who need spinal fusion sometimes need other types of back surgery at the same time. Mayo Clinic's integrated practice gives you access to all the experts needed to solve your problems.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic surgeons have decades of experience in performing spinal fusions. They have become adept at repairing a variety of extremely complicated spinal problems.
- Research. Mayo Clinic research scientists and doctors are continually improving spinal fusion techniques. Research by Mayo specialists covers a wide range of areas, including minimally invasive surgical techniques, biomechanical enhancements for screws and hooks used in spinal fusion, and better techniques for complicated spinal reconstructions.
- Technology. State-of-the-art imaging technology helps Mayo physicians precisely diagnose your back or neck problems. The correct diagnosis is key to successful treatment. Advanced imaging and brain-monitoring techniques during spinal fusion surgeries help improve safety and surgical outcomes.
The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Walking Tall After Spine Surgery
Gyles Randall lived for years with pervasive pain that radiated down his legs. When he no longer could tolerate the discomfort, he sought medical help and was surprised to be referred to a neurosurgeon. But that referral made a world of difference. As an agriculture researcher focused on soil fertility, nutrient management and tillage, Gyles [...]
Spinal Fusion Surgery Revives an Active Lifestyle
After a sudden injury left her with multiple ruptured disks in her lower back, Pat Henneberry knew Mayo Clinic was the place she wanted to go to help her get back on her feet. Returning to her home in Austin, Texas, one day in spring 2018, Pat Henneberry stepped inside and without warning fell to [...]
Spine Surgery Tames Pain, Puts School Bus Driver Back Behind the Wheel
For more than a decade, Mike Ramsey suffered from debilitating pain due to a severe spinal deformity. He thought disability and pain would always dominate his life. Then he met a neurosurgeon at Mayo Clinic who offered him a path to relief. Today, Mike is pain-free. Mike Ramsey dealt with lower back pain for years. [...]
Expertise and rankings
- Experience. Mayo Clinic orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons perform more than 1,200 spinal fusions each year.
- Advanced techniques. Mayo surgeons can perform spinal fusion from the back, front or side of the spine and have access to the newest varieties of bone-fusing materials. Minimally invasive approaches are selected, when appropriate.
- Efficient care. In many cases you can be evaluated and have surgery all within just a few days.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked highly performing for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked highly performing for orthopedics.
Learn more about the expertise and rankings of Mayo Clinic's neurosurgery and orthopedic surgery departments.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Explore Mayo Clinic studies testing new treatments, interventions and tests as a means to prevent, detect, treat or manage this disease.
Nov. 14, 2020