Mayo Clinic doctors and scientists are actively studying ways to improve bone marrow transplant outcomes. Areas of research include:
- Expanding the use of haploidentical bone marrow transplant
- Finding new ways to use bone marrow transplant, including pediatric hemoglobinopathies and inherited metabolic diseases
- Improving quality of life for bone marrow transplant survivors
- Preventing and managing graft-versus-host disease (GVHD)
- Understanding chronic GVHD
Learn more about research in the Blood and Marrow Transplantation Program.
Cancer research is conducted in coordination with the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center. The Mayo Clinic Cancer Center receives funding from the National Cancer Institute and is designated as a comprehensive cancer center — recognition for an institution's scientific excellence and multidisciplinary resources focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic authors on bone marrow transplant on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Oct. 13, 2016
- AskMayoExpert. Hematopoietic stem cell transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Hoffman R, et al. Overview of hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. In: Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 8, 2016.
- Blood-forming stem cell transplants. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/types/stem-cell-transplant/stem-cell-fact-sheet. Accessed July 8, 2016.
- Majhail NS, et al. Recommended screening and preventive practices for long-term survivors after hematopoietic cell transplantation. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 2012;18:348.
- Diseases treatable by transplants. National Marrow Donor Program. https://bethematch.org/transplant-basics/how-transplants-work/diseases-treatable-by-transplants/. Accessed July 8, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Graft-versus-host disease. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Blood and marrow stem cell transplantation. Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. http://www.lls.org/resource-center/download-or-order-free-publications. Accessed July 8, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Autologous stem cell transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 20, 2016.