A tension headache is generally a diffuse, mild to moderate pain in your head that's often described as feeling like a tight band around your head. A tension headache (tension-type headache) is the most common type of headache, and yet its causes aren't well-understood.
Treatments for tension headaches are available. Managing a tension headache is often a balance between fostering healthy habits, finding effective nondrug treatments and using medications appropriately.
Aug. 19, 2017
- Daroff RB, et al. Headache and other craniofacial pain. In: Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 28, 2016.
- Semenov IA. Tension-type headaches. Disease-A-Month. 2015;61:233.
- Tension-type headache (TTH). International Headache Society. http://ihsclassification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/02.00.00_tension.html. Accessed May 28, 2016.
- Infrequent episodic tension-type headache. International Headache Society. http://ihsclassification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/02.01.00_tension.html. Accessed May 28, 2016.
- Chronic tension-type headache. International Headache Society. http://ihsclassification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/02.03.00_tension.html. Accessed May 28, 2016.
- Headache: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/headache/detail_headache.htm. Accessed May 29, 2016.
- Taylor FR. Tension-type headache in adults: Pathophysiology, clinical features, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 28, 2016.
- National Clinical Guideline Centre. Headaches: Diagnosis and management of headaches in young people and adults. London (UK): National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE); 2012.
- Freitag F. Managing and treating tension-type headache. Medical Clinics of North America. 2013;97:281.
- Headache hygiene tips. American Headache Society Committee for Headache Education. http://www.achenet.org/resources/trigger_avoidance_information/. Accessed June 3, 2016.
- Headaches: In depth. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/pain/headachefacts.htm. Accessed May 31, 2015.