Coping with the emotional ups and downs of psoriatic arthritis
Depression, anxiety and other mental health conditions are common in psoriatic arthritis. Seek diagnosis and treatment to benefit your overall health.
Coping with a chronic health condition can be exhausting, both mentally and physically. If you're living with psoriatic arthritis, you're likely all too familiar with an unpredictable cycle of pain and even disability, which may end as quickly as it started. Once you feel well again, it can be hard to stay positive, knowing that psoriatic arthritis symptoms may return without advance notice. This pattern may help explain why mental health conditions, including depression and anxiety, are common in psoriatic arthritis.
Fortunately, many effective treatments are available to help, from lifestyle changes to medications and talk therapy. Finding a treatment plan that works for you can benefit your overall health and well-being.
The connection between psoriatic arthritis and mental health
Studies suggest that these mental health conditions aren't simply an outcome of living with the pain and disability of psoriatic arthritis. Research has found that the chemicals that cause inflammation in psoriatic arthritis also appear to increase the risk of depression, anxiety and other mental illnesses — with or without psoriatic arthritis.
Doctors don't yet understand the cause-and-effect relationship between psoriatic arthritis and mental health conditions. It is clear, however, that if you're affected by both, treating both will likely benefit your overall health.
Jan. 06, 2017
See more In-depth
- National Psoriasis Foundation. The link between psoriatic disease and mental illness. https://www.psoriasis.org/advance/link-between-psoriatic-disease-and-mental-illness. Accessed Dec. 2, 2016.
- Ferreira BI, et al. Psoriasis and associated psychiatric disorders. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2016;9:36. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4928455/.
- Stress tip sheet. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/stress-tips.aspx. Accessed Dec. 8, 2016.
- Ease arthritis symptoms with meditation. Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/natural/other-therapies/mind-body-pain-relief/meditation-eases-symptoms.php.
- Connor CJ, et al. Exploring the physiological link between psoriasis and mood disorders. Dermatology Research and Practice. 2015;2015:409637.
- Thorslund K, et al. Use of serotonin reuptake inhibitors in patients with psoriasis is associated with a decreased need for systemic psoriasis treatment: A population-based cohort study. Journal of Internal Medicine. 2013;274;281.
- Chang-Miller A (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ. Dec. 11, 2016.