Patent ductus arteriosus - PDA care at Mayo Clinic
Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in heart conditions (cardiologists), doctors trained in treating children with heart conditions (pediatric cardiologists), doctors trained in heart surgery (cardiovascular surgeons) and others have experience evaluating and treating children and adults with patent ductus arteriosus. Doctors evaluate and treat more than 300 children and adults with patent ductus arteriosus yearly.
Doctors also have experience evaluating and treating other congenital heart diseases in adults and congenital heart defects in children.
- Team approach. Mayo Clinic doctors work together to give you or your child coordinated care.
- Diagnostic tests. Mayo Clinic doctors diagnose patent ductus arteriosus and other congenital heart diseases using several tests, including echocardiogram, electrocardiogram, cardiac catheterization and others.
- Treatment expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors have expertise treating patent ductus arteriosus with many options. Doctors often use a less invasive catheter procedure to treat a PDA. Doctors might use surgery, medication or other options to treat a PDA.
- Congenital heart disease treatment. Mayo Clinic cardiologists and others have experience treating congenital heart diseases, including patent ductus arteriosus. Doctors in the Center for Congenital Heart Disease at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota treat children and adults with congenital heart disease.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors study potential diagnostic tests and treatments for patent ductus arteriosus and other congenital heart diseases and conduct clinical trials.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Dec. 16, 2014