Departments and specialties
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States,
with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work
together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Departments that treat this condition
Areas that research this condition
Mayo Clinic has long been at the forefront of the search for better ways to diagnose and treat kidney stones. Mayo Clinic urologists and nephrologists conduct clinical trials to help evaluate and refine new technologies. Their depth of expertise makes Mayo Clinic a leader in clinical research on what causes kidney stones to form, how best to diagnose them, cutting-edge treatment options and prevention.
See a list of publications on kidney stones by Mayo Clinic doctors on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Kidney stones care at Mayo Clinic
May 18, 2017
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Nephrolithiasis. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 21, 2017.
- Kidney stones. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/urologic-diseases/kidney-stones. Accessed Jan. 21, 2017.
- McKean SC, et al. Kidney stones. In: Principles and Practice of Hospital Medicine. New York, N.Y: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Jan. 21, 2017.
- What are kidney stones? American Urological Association. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/kidney-stones. Accessed Jan. 21, 2017.
- Kidney stone treatment: Shock wave lithotripsy. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidneystones_shockwave. Accessed Jan. 21, 2017.
- Pearle MS, et al. Medical management of kidney stones: AUA guideline. The Journal of Urology. 2014;192:316.
- Melmed S, et al. Kidney stones. In: Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 21, 2017.
- Brown A. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 13, 2016.
- Humphries MR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 25, 2017.