Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy care at Mayo Clinic
Your Mayo Clinic care team
A team at Mayo Clinic
A team works together to evaluate and treat people at Mayo Clinic.
At Mayo Clinic, a multidisciplinary team of cardiologists, heart surgeons, heart rhythm specialists, geneticists, nurses and other specialists trained in treating hypertrophic cardiomyopathy work together to provide you with coordinated, comprehensive care. This means that you're not getting just one opinion — you benefit from the knowledge and experience of each specialist on the multidisciplinary team. This collaborative approach means doctors can often evaluate you and develop an individualized treatment plan within two or three days.
Advanced diagnosis and treatment
Mayo Clinic has a long-standing hypertrophic cardiomyopathy program that provides highly individualized care. Your treatment team may provide activity recommendations, medical management, and treatments including septal myectomy, septal ablation and implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) implantation. Regardless of your age, general health and condition, you'll receive whole-person care tailored to your individual needs at Mayo Clinic.
Your care at Mayo Clinic may include:
- A comprehensive evaluation. Doctors will evaluate your heart condition as well as any other medical problems that affect your treatment. Your team will consult specialists in other areas, as needed, to make sure you receive the most appropriate treatment plan for you.
- The latest diagnostic tools. Mayo Clinic maintains state-of-the-art laboratory and imaging facilities. The hypertrophic cardiomyopathy specialists at Mayo Clinic use advanced technology and sophisticated imaging equipment to diagnose hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Mayo Clinic doctors are experienced in using a variety of imaging tools, including cardiac MRI, cardiac catheterization and echocardiograms, specifically for people with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
- Genetic testing and counseling. Experienced Mayo genetic counselors and medical geneticists provide genetic counseling and testing for people with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and their families.
- Septal myectomy surgery. Mayo Clinic has more than 50 years of experience in performing septal myectomy surgery — a procedure in which a cardiac surgeon removes part of the thickened heart muscle to improve blood flow. Septal myectomy surgery has been performed at Mayo Clinic since 1959.
- Education and support. Nurses and other staff trained in the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Clinic, along with your cardiologist, will provide you education and support.
The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Expertise and rankings
Cardiovascular diseases and cardiac surgery team
A team of cardiologists and cardiac surgeons work together at Mayo Clinic.
Mayo Clinic specialists have experience diagnosing and treating hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. More than 2,100 children and adults are evaluated and treated for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy at Mayo Clinic each year.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic Children's Center in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
HCM reduces the heart's ability to do its job.
Click here for an infographic to learn more
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's cardiovascular surgery and cardiovascular medicine departments' expertise and rankings.
With Mayo Clinic's emphasis on collaborative care, specialists at each of the campuses — Minnesota, Arizona and Florida — interact very closely with colleagues at the other campuses and the Mayo Clinic Health System.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.