Idiopathic hypersomnia is an uncommon sleep disorder that causes you to be very sleepy during the day even after a full night of good sleep. Its cause is unknown. It also often causes difficulty waking up after you've been asleep. If you take a nap, you generally don't feel refreshed and you may wake up confused and disoriented.
The need to sleep can strike at any time, including when you're driving a car or working, which makes idiopathic hypersomnia potentially dangerous.
The condition often develops gradually. Diagnosing idiopathic hypersomnia requires ruling out more-common sleep disorders. The aim of treatment is to control symptoms with medication.
Products & Services
Idiopathic hypersomnia care at Mayo Clinic
Oct. 07, 2022
- Chervin RD. Idiopathic hypersomnia. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed May 12,2022.
- Idiopathic hypersomnia. Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center. https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/8737/idiopathic-hypersomnia. Accessed May 12, 2022.
- Trotti LM, et al. Idiopathic hypersomnia and other hypersomnia syndromes. Neurotherapeutics.2021; doi:10.1007/s13311-020-00919-1.
- Dauvilliers Y, et al. Safety and efficacy of lower-sodium oxybate in adults with idiopathic hypersomnia: A phase 3, placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized withdrawal study. Lancet Neurology. 2022; doi:10.1016/S1474-4422(21)00368-9.
- Littner MR, et al. Practice parameters for clinical use of the multiple sleep latency test and the maintenance of wakefulness test. Sleep. 2005; doi:10.1093/sleep/28.1.113.
- Inoue Y, et al. Efficacy and safety of modafinil in patients with idiopathic hypersomnia without long sleep time: A multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group comparison study. Sleep. 2021; doi:10.1016/j.sleep.2021.01.018.
- Sowa NA. Idiopathic hypersomnia and hypersomnolence disorder: A systematic review of the literature. Psychosomatics. 2016; doi:10.1016/j.psym.2015.12.006.
- Saini P, et al. Hypersomnia evaluation, treatment and social and economic aspects. Sleep Medicine Clinics. 2017; doi:10.1016/j.jsmc.2016.10.013.
- Nguyen H. AllScripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic. April 20, 2022.
- Maski K, et al. Treatment of central disorders of hypersomnolence: An American Academy of Sleep Medicine clinical practice guideline. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. 2021; doi:10.5664/jcsm.9328.
Products & Services