Preparing for your appointment

By Mayo Clinic Staff

While you may initially consult your family physician, he or she may refer you to a doctor who specializes in musculoskeletal medicine, such as someone in sports medicine or orthopedic surgery.

What you can do

You may want to write a list that includes:

  • Detailed descriptions of your symptoms
  • Information about medical problems you've had
  • All the medications and dietary supplements you take
  • Questions you want to ask the doctor

What to expect from your doctor

Your doctor probably will ask some of the following questions:

  • When did the injury occur and how exactly did it happen?
  • Did you feel a popping or tearing sensation?
  • Does any particular motion or position ease or worsen the pain?
Oct. 03, 2015