Preparing for your appointment

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Your family doctor might refer you to a doctor specializing in disorders of the digestive system (gastroenterologist). You may need to consult a surgeon if the worms have blocked your intestines.

What you can do

Before your appointment, you may want to write down the answers to the following questions:

  • When did your symptoms begin?
  • Does anything make your symptoms better or worse?
  • Have you noticed worms in your stool or vomit?
  • Have you traveled to developing countries lately?
  • What medications and supplements are you taking?

What to expect from your doctor

During the physical exam, your doctor may press on certain areas of your abdomen to check for pain or tenderness. He or she may also want a sample of your stool for testing.

April 23, 2015