Botox injections into arthritic joints appear to reduce pain and improve function. Results from several scientific studies have been promising, but larger clinical trials are needed.
Botox is the best known of a group of medications that use various forms of botulinum toxin to temporarily paralyze muscle activity. Other medications that contain botulinum toxin include Dysport, Myobloc and Xeomin. This toxin is produced by the microbe that causes botulism, a type of food poisoning.
So far, participants in various studies have reported improvement in arthritis pain and joint function after Botox injections. Botulinum toxin works by blocking the transmission of certain chemical signals that relay information between nerves and the brain.
These preliminary studies have been small, and many of them didn't include a control group to see if the botulinum toxin injections work better than placebo. So there's much left to learn about the possible role of Botox injections in arthritis treatment.
While research continues, proven treatment options — such as exercise, weight loss and medication — remain the focus of most arthritis treatment plans.
Nov. 29, 2016
See more Expert Answers
- Hameed F, et al. Injectable medications for osteoarthritis. PM&R. 2012;4(suppl):S75.
- Singh JA, et al. Botulinum toxin for shoulder pain. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008271.pub2/abstract. Accessed Oct. 26, 2016.
- Boon AJ, et al. Efficacy of intra-articular botulinum toxin type A in painful knee osteoarthritis: A pilot study. PM&R. 2010;2:268.
- Marchini C, et al. Efficacy of botulinum toxin type A treatment of functional impairment of degenerative hip joint: Preliminary results. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2010;42:691.
- Khenioui H, et al. Usefulness of intra-articular botulinum toxin injections: A systematic review. Joint Bone Spine. 2016;83:149.
- Wheeler A, et al. Botulinum toxins: Mechanisms of action, antinociception and clinical applications. Toxicology. 2013;306:124.