Mayo Clinic doctors and surgeons have diagnosed and treated thousands of people who have lung disease. The Mayo Clinic Lung Transplant Program has expert teams at Mayo's campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. The Minnesota program was established in 1990, Florida's in 2001 and Arizona's in 2015.
People with challenging health situations come to Mayo Clinic for help because our doctors and surgeons are experts in specialized lung transplant techniques, including:
Mayo Clinic lung transplant outcomes compare favorably with the national average.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's quality rankings.
Sept. 08, 2017
- Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients. http://www.srtr.org/default.aspx. Accessed July 14, 2016.
- U.S. News Best Hospitals 2015-16. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Feb. 22, 2016.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 22, 2016.
- Erasmus DB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. August 3, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Lung transplantation. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. About your lung transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2006.
- Hachem RR. Lung transplantation: General guidelines for recipient selection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 15, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Planning for your transplant: A financial guide. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2009.
- Sherman W, et al. Lung transplantation and coronary artery disease. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2011;92:303.
- What is coronary angiography? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ca/. Accessed July 15, 2016.
- What is a tracheostomy? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/trach/. Accessed July 15, 2016.
- What is a lung transplant? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/lungtxp/. Accessed July 15, 2016.
- Wilson ME, et al. Pretransplant frailty is associated with decreased survival after lung transplantation. The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2016;35:173.
- Chandrashekaran S, et al. Weight loss prior to lung transplantation is associated with improved survival. The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2015;34:651.
- Aho JM, et al. Closure of a recurrent bronchopleural fistula using a matrix seeded with patient-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Stem Cells Translational Medicine. 2016;5:1. http://www.stemcellstm.com. Accessed July l5, 2016.
- Single-lung transplant patient discharged. Mayovox. August 1990;37:9.
- Halum SL. A multi-institutional analysis of tracheotomy complications. Laryngoscope. 2012;122:38.