Mayo Clinic doctors trained in heart disease (cardiologists) have experience and expertise evaluating and treating people with familial hypercholesterolemia and other inherited lipid disorders. People with these conditions are at high risk for heart attacks and recurrent heart attacks. Cardiologists and other staff in this clinic work closely with you to develop an individualized treatment plan.
Familial hypercholesterolemia is a fairly common inherited condition that puts people at increased risk of coronary heart disease.
In the Familial Hypercholesterolemia Clinic, cardiologists trained in the diagnosis and treatment of inherited lipid disorders will provide you with a comprehensive assessment and conduct diagnostic tests to determine the most appropriate therapy for you.
Your cardiologist works with a multidisciplinary team, including genomic cardiologists, genetic counselors, nurse practitioners, exercise specialists and nutritionists, that specializes in helping you with inherited lipid disorders and heart health. If you need a consultation for a related medical condition, doctors from many areas can be brought together to examine your condition.
Conditions diagnosed and treated at the Familial Hypercholesterolemia Clinic include:
- Familial hypercholesterolemia
- Familial hypertriglyceridemia
- Familial combined hyperlipidemia
- Elevated lipoprotein A
Your comprehensive care plan may involve the following services:
- Exercise prescription
- Nutrition counseling
- Electrocardiogram, echocardiogram
- Advanced cardiovascular biomarker testing, including C-reactive protein, lipoprotein A, ceramides, homocysteine, lipoprotein subfractionation
- Arterial function tests
- Heart scan for calcification
- Genetic testing for familial hyperlipidemia syndromes
- Genetic counseling
- Cardiology consultation
- Lipid-lowering therapy, including statins, ezetimide and PCSK9 inhibitors
- Invasive cardiovascular testing and therapy, including coronary angiography, percutaneous coronary interventions
The experts of the Mayo Clinic Familial Hypercholesterolemia Clinic conduct research to establish new best practices for the treatment of familial hypercholesterolemia.
You may be referred by your primary doctor, or you may make an appointment without a referral. Not all services may be available at all locations. Please confirm when you request an appointment.
For appointments or more information about the Familial Hypercholesterolemia Clinic at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota, call the Department of Cardiovascular Medicine at 507-284-0101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central time, Monday through Friday, or complete an online appointment request form.
See physician staff.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic campuses are nationally recognized for expertise in cardiology and cardiovascular surgery:
- Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
- Mayo Clinic Children's Center in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
- Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.