Departments and specialties
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States,
with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work
together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Departments with related expertise
Areas that research this procedure
Mayo Clinic researchers are investigating advanced and minimally invasive treatment options for bariatric surgery.
See a list of publications by Mayo physicians on bariatric surgery on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Gastric bypass surgery care at Mayo Clinic
Jan. 12, 2018
- American Gastroenterological Association. American Gastroenterological Association medical position statement on obesity. Gastroenterology. 2002;123:879.
- Bariatric surgery for severe obesity. National Institute on Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/PDFs/gasurg12.04bw.pdf. Accessed Aug. 20, 2011.
- Jones D, et al. Surgical management of severe obesity. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 15, 2011.
- Jones D, et al. Complications of bariatric surgery. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 15, 2011.
- Kushner RF, et al. Medical management of patients after bariatric surgery. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 15, 2011.
- FDA expands use of banding system for weight loss. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm245617.htm. Accessed June 9, 2011.
- Mechanick J, et al. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the Obesity Society, and American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery medical guidelines for clinical practice for the perioperative nutritional, metabolic, and nonsurgical support of the bariatric surgery patient. Obesity. 2009;17(suppl):S1.
- Collazo-Clavell ML (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. Rochester, Minn. Sept. 7, 2011.
- Sarr MG (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 16, 2011.