The cabbage soup diet is generally considered a fad diet. As the name suggests, the diet requires that you eat large amounts of cabbage soup for seven days. During that time, you can also eat certain fruits and vegetables, beef, chicken, and brown rice, according to a set schedule.
Proponents of the cabbage soup diet say it's a good way to quickly lose a few pounds. You may lose weight on the diet because it drastically limits calories. But it is not only fat that you'll lose. Any weight that you lose is likely to be a combination of water and fat, and may even include muscle.
Because the cabbage soup diet is low in complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins and minerals, you shouldn't stay on it for more than a week at a time.
The cabbage soup diet has other disadvantages. Depending on the recipe for cabbage soup, the diet can be high in sodium. The large amounts of cabbage also can make you more prone to flatulence.
Because you're not getting proper nutrition, you may feel weak or tired while on the diet. And once you stop the diet, it's easy to regain any weight that you lost.
Fad diets like this one may be tempting, but keep in mind that long-term weight loss depends on making lasting healthy changes in your eating and exercise habits.
Aug. 29, 2019
See more Expert Answers
- Cabbage soup diet. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed Aug. 13, 2019.
- Staying away from fad diets. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. https://www.eatright.org/health/weight-loss/fad-diets/staying-away-from-fad-diets. Accessed Aug. 15, 2019.
- Zeratsky KA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. April 15, 2016.
- Improving your eating habits. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/losing_weight/eating_habits.html. Accessed Aug. 13, 2019.
- About the buzz: The Cabbage Soup Diet is the best way to lose weight? Produce for Better Health Foundation. https://fruitsandveggies.org/stories/atb-for-091510. Accessed Aug. 13, 2019.