Transposition of the great arteries care at Mayo Clinic
Your Mayo Clinic care team
Mayo Clinic doctors with special training in heart diseases (cardiologists), cardiovascular surgery and pediatric cardiology treat people who have transposition of the great arteries and other congenital heart diseases.
- Collaborative approach. At Mayo clinic, your care is discussed among a multidisciplinary team of experts. Your test results are available quickly, appointments are coordinated, and cardiology specialists with expertise in your condition work together to determine what's most appropriate for you or your child. This collaborative approach means health care providers can often evaluate you or your child and develop a treatment plan within two or three days.
- Advanced diagnosis and treatment. Mayo Clinic patients have access to the latest imaging and diagnostic tools available. Mayo Clinic scientists have long been involved in developing many cutting-edge technologies for patient care.
- Innovative research. With state-of-the-art research and laboratory facilities, Mayo Clinic experts are constantly seeking new medical knowledge and individual-driven innovations for people with transposition of the great arteries. Mayo Clinic care providers research new treatments for transposition of the great arteries and conduct clinical trials.
- Pediatric expertise. Children with transposition of the great arteries and other congenital heart diseases are cared for in the Mayo Eugenio Litta Children's Hospital at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota. The hospital includes a cardiovascular unit dedicated to pre- and post-surgical care of children who have heart conditions. Nurses and care providers trained in treating children and adolescents with heart conditions staff the unit. Child-life specialists help you and your child deal with natural fears about illness, medical procedures and hospital care.
The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Expertise and rankings
Mayo Clinic's cardiovascular experts provide comprehensive care for about 300 people with transposition of the great arteries every year.
Excellence in congenital heart care
Mayo Clinic cardiologists have expertise in treating children with congenital heart defects and adults who have congenital heart diseases.
At Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota, staff in the Center for Congenital Heart Disease care for adults and children who have congenital heart disease throughout their lives. Each Mayo Clinic location offers care for adults with congenital heart disease.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic campuses are nationally recognized for expertise in cardiology and cardiovascular surgery:
The Adult Congenital Heart Disease Association (ACHA) has designated the Adult Congenital Heart Disease (ACHD) Clinic at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, as an ACHA ACHD Accredited Comprehensive Care Center.
This accreditation was achieved because the ACHD Clinic meets personnel requirements, offers specific medical services, and uses policies and procedures that help ensure the highest level of care for adults with congenital heart disease. This accreditation also signifies that Mayo Clinic has doctors with special expertise in diagnosing and treating congenital heart disease.
- Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida, are ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
- Mayo Clinic Children's Center in Rochester is ranked the No. 1 hospital in Minnesota, and the five-state region of Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin, according to U.S. News & World Report's 2022–2023 "Best Children's Hospitals" rankings.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's Cardiovascular Surgery and Cardiovascular Medicine departments' expertise and rankings.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Jan. 19, 2022