Suicide and suicidal thoughts: Care at Mayo Clinic
- Multispecialty team approach. Through the comprehensive multispecialty programs of Mayo Clinic's Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, people with mental, addictive and emotional disorders of all types find answers each year. The team approach is used in both outpatient and inpatient care, tailored to the individual's needs.
- Treatment for complicated depression and bipolar disorder. Psychiatry and psychology services at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota include an adult Mood Disorders Unit. This unit provides inpatient treatment to adults whose depression significantly affects their functioning or safety. The Adult Mood Clinic, an outpatient program, evaluates and treats adults who have depression or bipolar disorder.
- Pediatric specialists. Pediatric specialists in psychiatry and psychology at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota offer outpatient treatment for children and teens with depression and anxiety. If symptoms become severe and personal safety is a concern, doctors may recommend hospitalization. Mayo specialists coordinate care with outpatient providers to ensure that children and teens and their families have a clear plan to return to their outpatient doctor for follow-up care.
- Addiction services. Mayo Clinic experts treat people addicted to alcohol, recreational drugs and prescription medications, using an individualized, holistic approach within a respectful environment. Addiction services at Mayo Clinic include multispecialty care teams.
Expertise and rankings
- Expertise and experience. Mayo Clinic specialists in the Department of Psychiatry and Psychology have extensive experience and expertise in treating mental health disorders. A team of highly skilled mental health providers works with you to set goals, develop a customized treatment plan and monitor your progress.
- Mayo Clinic Depression Center. This center offers comprehensive evidence-based evaluation and treatment for adults and children with depression or bipolar disorder. Programs range from outpatient consultations to intensive inpatient treatment, with care provided by a team of Mayo Clinic psychiatrists, psychologists, nurse practitioners, social workers and other specialists with expertise in mood disorders.
- Latest research. Mayo Clinic researchers continue to study a number of issues, such as new diagnostic and treatment tools, how genes may be linked to depression, and suicidal behaviors. Some people with depression may be able to participate in clinical trials.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, is ranked as one of the top psychiatry hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
May 05, 2018
Suicide and suicidal thoughts