Psoriasis and your self-esteem
If you have the chronic skin condition psoriasis, you might struggle with your self-confidence.
The redness, scaling and flaky skin associated with psoriasis can be difficult to mask and might make you feel self-conscious about your appearance. You might worry that people are looking at your skin or avoiding physical contact with you out of a false fear that your condition is contagious. Research also shows that people with psoriasis struggle with anxiety over their appearance and are at increased risk of depression.
To avoid these complications, consider these tips to improve your self-esteem and ease depression as you manage your psoriasis.
Psoriasis can cause discomfort and embarrassment. To feel more comfortable and confident:
Jan. 05, 2017
- Educate yourself about psoriasis, your triggers and your treatment options. Share what you learn with family and friends.
- Work with your doctor to determine your treatment plan and follow it.
- Join a support group for people with psoriasis. You might find comfort in sharing your struggles and meeting people who face similar challenges.
See more In-depth
- Women and the heavy toll of psoriasis. National Psoriasis Foundation. https://www.psoriasis.org/advance/women-and-psoriasis. Accessed Nov. 21, 2016.
- Depression. National Psoriasis Foundation. https://www.psoriasis.org/life-with-psoriasis/depression. Accessed Nov. 21. 2016.
- Tips to manage anxiety and stress. Anxiety and Depression Association of America. https://www.adaa.org/tips-manage-anxiety-and-stress. Accessed Nov. 21, 2016.
- Owczarek K, et al. Quality of life and severity of skin changes in the dynamics of psoriasis. Advances in Dermatology and Allergology. 2016;33:102.
- Makeup tips for skin with psoriasis. National Psoriasis Foundation. https://www.psoriasis.org/advance/make-up-tips-for-skin-with-psoriasis. Accessed Nov. 21, 2016.
- Psoriasis. American Academy of Dermatology. https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/scaly-skin/psoriasis#tips. Accessed Nov. 21, 2016.
- Ghorbanibirgani A, et al. The lived experience of psoriasis patients from social stigma and rejection: A qualitative study. Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal. 2016;18:e27893.