Pregnancy and breast-feeding when you have psoriasis
Pregnancy might change your psoriasis symptoms and treatment. Find out what's safe and what's not when pregnant and breast-feeding.
Psoriasis treatments keep your skin clear — but are they safe when you're pregnant and breast-feeding? Pregnancy can affect your psoriasis symptoms and change your treatment. But you can take steps to reduce your psoriasis while keeping your baby safe.
Pregnancy and psoriasis: How your body responds
During pregnancy, psoriasis symptoms can worsen for a small number of women. But most women have clearer skin or no change in their psoriasis symptoms.
After delivery, it's common for psoriasis to flare. And some women newly develop a psoriasis-related arthritis (psoriatic arthritis).
What treatments could hurt my baby?
In general, it's best to stop taking any psoriasis medications that aren't necessary while you're pregnant. Some psoriasis treatments may cause birth defects. Treatments that aren’t recommended during pregnancy or breast-feeding include:
Jan. 04, 2018
- Oral retinoids, such as acitretin (Soriatane)
- Oral corticosteroids, such as prednisone
- Methotrexate (Trexall), a drug that may be taken orally or through an injection in the muscle
- Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage), a topical treatment
- Psoralen plus ultraviolet A (PUVA) phototherapy, because it’s unknown how the drug that’s taken with this light therapy affects the baby
See more In-depth
- Pomeranz MK, et al. Management of psoriasis in pregnancy. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Nov. 6, 2017.
- Pregnancy and nursing. National Psoriasis Foundation. https://www.psoriasis.org/pregnancy. Accessed Nov. 6, 2017.
- FDA determinations for pregnant and nursing women. National Psoriasis Foundation. https://www.psoriasis.org/pregnancy/fda-determinations. Accessed Nov. 6, 2017.
- Kurizky P, et al. Treatment of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Anais Brasileiros de Dermatologia. 2015;90:367.
- Systemic medications. National Psoriasis Foundation. https://www.psoriasis.org/about-psoriasis/treatments/systemics/methotrexate. Accessed Dec. 13, 2017.