Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart muscle (myocardium). Myocarditis can affect your heart muscle and your heart's electrical system, reducing your heart's ability to pump and causing rapid or abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias).
A viral infection usually causes myocarditis, but it can result from a reaction to a drug or be part of a more general inflammatory condition. Signs and symptoms include chest pain, fatigue, shortness of breath, and arrhythmias.
Severe myocarditis weakens your heart so that the rest of your body doesn't get enough blood. Clots can form in your heart, leading to a stroke or heart attack.
Treatment for myocarditis depends on the cause.
Myocarditis care at Mayo Clinic
July 12, 2017
- AskMayoExpert. Myocarditis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Cooper LT. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of myocarditis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 17, 2017.
- Bozkurt B, et al. Current diagnostic and treatment strategies for specific dilated cardiomyopathies: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2016;134:e579.
- Cooper LT. Etiology and pathogenesis of myocarditis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 17, 2017.
- Fung G, et al. Myocarditis. Circulation Research. 2016;118:496.
- Krejci J, et al. Inflammatory cardiomyopathy: A current view on the pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment. Biomed Research International. 2016;2016:1.
- Cooper LT. Treatment and prognosis of myocarditis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 17, 2017.
- Allan CK, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of myocarditis in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 20, 2017.
- Bonow RO, et al. Myocarditis. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 20, 2017.
- Atas H, et al. Two cases of acute myocarditis with multiple intracardiac thrombi: The role of huypercoagulable states. Heart Views. 2014;15:22.
- Stopping the spread of germs at home, work & school. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/stopgerms.htm. Accessed Feb. 21, 2017.
- Heart-healthy lifestyle changes. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/heart-healthy-lifestyle-changes#. Accessed Feb. 21, 2017.
- Mayo Clinic finds myocarditis caused by infection on rise globally. Mayo Clinic News Network. http://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-finds-myocarditis-caused-by-infection-on-rise-globally/. Accessed Feb. 21, 2017.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 16, 2017.
- Heymans S, et al. The quest for new approaches in myocarditis and inflammatory cardiomyopathy. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2016;68:2348.
- Sinagra G, et al. Myocarditis in clinical practice. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2016;91:1256.
- Mankad R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 6, 2017.
- Cooper LT, et al. The role of endomyocardial biopsy in the management of cardiovascular disease: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association, the American College of Cardiology, and the European Society of Cardiology. Circulation. 2007;116:2216.
News, connections and conversations for your health