Yes, thyroid disease can affect your mood — primarily causing either anxiety or depression. Generally, the more severe the thyroid disease, the more severe the mood changes.
If you have an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism), you may experience:
- Unusual nervousness
On the opposite end of the spectrum, if you have an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), you may experience:
- Mild to severe fatigue
Still, it's unlikely that emotional symptoms such as anxiety or depression would be the only evidence of thyroid disease. Thyroid disease is usually associated with signs and symptoms such as:
- Weight gain or loss
- Increased sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
- Bowel movement changes
- Menstrual irregularities
Appropriate treatment — such as medication that blocks your body's ability to produce new thyroid hormone or replaces missing thyroid hormone — usually improves both emotional and physical symptoms caused by thyroid disease.
Dec. 23, 2020
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Sign up for free, and stay up to date on research advancements, health tips and current health topics, like COVID-19, plus expertise on managing health.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid email address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which
information is beneficial, we may combine your email and website usage information with
other information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic patient, this could
include protected health information. If we combine this information with your protected
health information, we will treat all of that information as protected health
information and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of
privacy practices. You may opt-out of email communications at any time by clicking on
the unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
Thank you for subscribing
Our Housecall e-newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest health information.
Sorry something went wrong with your subscription
Please, try again in a couple of minutes
See more Expert Answers
- FAQ: Hypothyroidism (underactive). American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/hypothyroidism/. Accessed Dec. 28, 2016.
- FAQ: Hyperthyroidism (overactive). American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/hyperthyroidism/. Accessed Dec. 28, 2016.
- Ross DS. Treatment of hypothyroidism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 28, 2016.
- Zhang Q, et al. Lateral habenula as a link between thyroid and serotoninergic system mediates depressive symptoms in hypothyroidism rats. Brain Research Bulletin. 2016;124:198.