Hidradenitis suppurativa (hi-drad-uh-NIE-tis sup-yoo-ruh-TIE-vuh) is rare, long-term skin condition that features small, painful lumps under the skin. They typically develop where the skin rubs together, such as the armpits, the groin, between the buttocks and under the breasts. The lumps may break open and smell or cause tunnels under the skin.
Hidradenitis suppurativa tends to start after puberty. It can persist for many years and worsen over time, with serious effects on your daily life and emotional well-being. Early diagnosis and treatment can help manage the symptoms, keep new lumps from forming and prevent complications, such as scarring or depression.
July 28, 2017
- AskMayoExpert. Hidradenitis suppurativa. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Margesson LJ, et al. Treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 27, 2016.
- Margesson LJ, et al. Pathogenesis, clinical features and diagnosis of hidradenitis suppurativa. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 27, 2016.
- Ingram JR, et al. Interventions for hidradenitis suppurativa. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.18.0b/ovidweb.cgi. Accessed Jan. 27, 2016.
- Yadav S, et al. Hidradenitis suppurativa in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: A population-based cohort study in Olmsted County, Minnesota. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 216;14:65.
- Kohorst JJ, et al. Systemic associations of hidradenitis suppurativa. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2015;73:S27.
- Kohorst JJ, et al. Treatment experience in a local population with hidradenitis suppurativa. Journal of Drugs in Dermatology. 2014;13:827.
- Shahi V, et al. Prevalence of hidradenitis suppurativa: A population-based study in Olmsted County, Minnesota. Dermatology. 2014;229:154.
- Jemec GBE. Hidradenitis suppurativa. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012;366:158.
- Alikhan A, et al. Hidradenitis suppurativa: A comprehensive review. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2009;60:539.
- Vazquez BG, et al. Incidence of hidradenitis suppurativa and associated factors: A population-based study of Olmsted County, Minnesota. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 2013;133:97.
- Cannistra C et al. New perspectives in the treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa: Surgery and brewer's yeast – exclusion diet. Surgery. 2013;154:1126.
- Danby FW. Diet in the prevention of hidradenitis suppurativa. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2015;73:S52.
- Deckers IE, et al. The handicap of hidradenitis suppurativa. Dermatologic Clinics. 2016;34:17.
- Margesson LJ, et al. Hidradenitis suppurativa. Best Practice & Research Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2014;28:1013.
- Wang SC, et al. Hidradenitis suppurativa: A frequently missed diagnosis, part 2: Treatment options. Advances in Skin & Wound Care. 2015;28:372.
- Hidradenitis suppurativa. America Academy of Dermatology. https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/painful-skin-joints/hidradenitis-suppurativa. Accessed Feb. 4, 2016.
- Garg A, et al. Factors associated with point-of-care treatment decisions for hidradenitis suppurativa. JAMA Dermatology. http://archderm.jamanetwork.com. Accessed Feb. 4, 2016.