Chiari malformation care at Mayo Clinic
- Your Mayo Clinic care team. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in brain and nervous system conditions (neurologists), brain and nervous system surgery (neurosurgeons), brain and nervous system conditions in children (pediatric neurologists and pediatric neurosurgeons), and other doctors work together to diagnose Chiari malformation and determine the most appropriate treatment for you. This means that you're not getting just one opinion — you benefit from the knowledge and experience of each specialist.
- Advanced diagnosis and treatment. Accurate diagnosis is critical for providing appropriate treatment for each person. Mayo Clinic doctors have expertise and experience in treating Chiari malformation and other conditions. Each year, Mayo Clinic doctors treat more than 1,300 people with Chiari malformation.
- Efficient system. In Mayo Clinic's efficient system, doctors usually can diagnose your condition and develop a treatment plan within days, not weeks. Close collaboration enables the team to have your test results available quickly and to coordinate scheduling your appointments.
The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Expertise and rankings
- Cutting-edge research. Mayo Clinic's long history of pioneering medical research means you have access to state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment facilities and numerous groundbreaking clinical trials. Mayo Clinic experts are constantly seeking new knowledge to improve diagnosis and therapies for people with more than 500 different brain and nervous system disorders, including Chiari malformations.
- Collaborative care. At Mayo Clinic, an integrated team of doctors trained in brain and nervous system conditions (neurologists), brain and nervous system surgery (neurosurgeons), brain and nervous system conditions in children (pediatric neurologists and pediatric neurosurgeons), and other doctors work together to diagnose Chiari malformation and to determine the most appropriate treatment.
- Pediatric expertise. Mayo Clinic neurologists trained in treating children with brain and nervous system conditions (pediatric neurologists) have experience evaluating and treating children with Chiari malformation at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's neurosurgery and neurology departments' expertise and rankings.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.