Asthma care at Mayo Clinic
- Experience and expertise. The Allergic Diseases Research Laboratory at Mayo Clinic has spent decades researching the immune system and exploring the causes of asthma, with the goal of developing new treatments and eventually finding a cure.
- Cutting-edge medicine. Mayo Clinic doctors and researchers continually develop and test new treatments for asthma. Your doctor will discuss clinical trials or experimental treatments that may be appropriate for you.
- A multidisciplinary team of specialized experts, collaborating on your care. Mayo Clinic doctors from several medical specialties work together to provide you with the best care possible, tailored to your needs. Your team may include specialists in allergic diseases, pulmonary and critical care, ear, nose and throat medicine (otorhinolaryngology), and other specialties as needed.
Comprehensive care. Your doctors will create an asthma action plan for you. You'll learn how to use your asthma medications, control symptoms and triggers, and monitor your condition.
Your health care team will also help you identify the allergens and irritants that trigger your asthma symptoms — such as the indoor air quality in your environment — so that you can avoid them or reduce your exposure.
June 04, 2020
- Weinberger SE, et al. Asthma. In: Principles of Pulmonary Medicine. 7th ed. Elsevier; 2019. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 30, 2020.
- Asthma. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/asthma. Accessed March 25, 2020.
- AskMayoExpert. Asthma (adult). Mayo Clinic; 2020.
- Global strategy for asthma management and prevention (2019 update). Global Initiative for Asthma. https://ginasthma.org/gina-reports/. Accessed March 27, 2020.
- Khurana S, et al. Systematic approach to asthma of varying severity. Clinics in Chest Medicine. 2019; doi:10.1016/j.ccm.2018.10.004.
- Ferri FF. Asthma. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2020. Elsevier; 2020. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 30, 2020.
- Wu TD, et al. Asthma in the primary care setting. Medical Clinics of North America. 2019; doi:10.1016/j.mcna.2018.12.004.
- Fanta CH. An overview of asthma management. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed March 30, 2020.
- Santino TA, et al. Breathing exercises for adults with asthma. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2020; doi:10.1002/14651858.CD001277.pub4.
- Amaral-Machado L, et al. Use of natural products in asthma treatment. Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2020; doi:10.1155/2020/1021258.
- Montelukast. IBM Micromedex. https://www.micromedexsoluitions.com. Accessed April 6, 2020.
- Whyand T, et al. Pollution and respiratory disease: Can diet or supplements help? A review. Respiratory Research. 2018; doi:10.1186/s12931-018-0785-0.
- O'Keefe JH, et al. Coffee for cardioprotection and longevity. Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases. 2018; doi:10.1016/j.pcad.2018.02.002.