For your PET scan, a radioactive drug (tracer) will be put into your body. Because the amount of radiation you're exposed to is small, the risk of negative effects from it is low. But the tracer might:
- Cause a major allergic reaction, in rare instances
- Expose your unborn baby to radiation if you are pregnant
- Expose your child to radiation if you are breast-feeding
Talk with your doctor about the benefits and risks of a PET scan.
June 09, 2017
- Javery O, et al. FDG PET or PET/CT in patients with pancreatic cancer: When does it add to diagnostic CT or MRI? Clinical Imaging 37;2013:295.
- Murphy JG, et al., eds. Positron emission tomography. In: Mayo Clinic Cardiology: Concise Textbook. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press; 2013.
- Ziessman HA, et al. Nuclear Medicine: The Requisites. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014.
- Positron emission tomography — Computed tomography (PET/CT). Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=PET. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- About nuclear medicine and molecular imaging. Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. http://www.snmmi.org/AboutSNMMI/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=6433&navItemNumber=756. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- About PET scans. American College of Radiology Imaging Network. http://www.acrin.org/patients/aboutimagingexamsandagents/aboutpetscans.aspx. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Neuroimaging in neurologic disorders. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Feb. 10, 2017.
- FDA approves production of imaging agent that helps detect prostate cancer. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm319201.htm. Accessed Feb. 2, 2017.
- Sobol I, et al. Contemporary mapping of post-prostatectomy prostate cancer relapse with C-choline positron emission tomography and multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging. Journal of Urology. 2017;197:129.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 14, 2017.
Positron emission tomography scan