Doctors and scientists who have training in PET scans and other imaging technology study how best to use PET scans to predict and diagnose a wide range of diseases and conditions. In 2012, Mayo Clinic received Food and Drug Administration approval to produce and administer Choline C-11 injection, an imaging agent used during PET scanning to help detect sites of recurrent prostate cancer. Mayo Clinic is the first institution in North America approved to produce Choline C-11.
See a list of publications by Mayo authors on PET scans on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
June 09, 2017
- Javery O, et al. FDG PET or PET/CT in patients with pancreatic cancer: When does it add to diagnostic CT or MRI? Clinical Imaging 37;2013:295.
- Murphy JG, et al., eds. Positron emission tomography. In: Mayo Clinic Cardiology: Concise Textbook. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press; 2013.
- Ziessman HA, et al. Nuclear Medicine: The Requisites. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014.
- Positron emission tomography — Computed tomography (PET/CT). Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=PET. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- About nuclear medicine and molecular imaging. Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. http://www.snmmi.org/AboutSNMMI/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=6433&navItemNumber=756. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- About PET scans. American College of Radiology Imaging Network. http://www.acrin.org/patients/aboutimagingexamsandagents/aboutpetscans.aspx. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Neuroimaging in neurologic disorders. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Feb. 10, 2017.
- FDA approves production of imaging agent that helps detect prostate cancer. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm319201.htm. Accessed Feb. 2, 2017.
- Sobol I, et al. Contemporary mapping of post-prostatectomy prostate cancer relapse with C-choline positron emission tomography and multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging. Journal of Urology. 2017;197:129.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 14, 2017.
Positron emission tomography scan