Broken leg — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of this type of fracture.
Fibromuscular dysplasia is a rare, but treatable, condition in which the arteries to your kidneys, brain or abdomen narrow, reducing blood flow to your organs.
The term "growing pains" may be a misnomer because there's no evidence that growth hurts. Still, the nighttime leg pain is real for many kids.
Back pain may mean you have a herniated disk — but not always. In fact, you can have disk herniation without pain. Here are the facts.
Legg-Calve-Perthes disease is a rare childhood hip condition that requires specialty care.
Your bones are made up of living tissue that's continually being renewed. Paget's disease of bone disrupts that process, sometimes causing serious complications.
One of the most feared diseases of the 20th century, polio has been eradicated from the developed world but remains a threat in less developed nations.
Porphyria is a group of inherited disorders that result from buildup of natural chemicals call porphyrins, which can cause nervous system and skin problems.
Rickets is a severe and prolonged vitamin D deficiency that leads to softening and weakening of the bones in children.
The term "shin splints" refers to pain along the shinbone. Shin splints are common among runners, particularly those just starting a running program.
April 06, 2013
- Kinirons M, et al. French's Index of Differential Diagnosis: An A-Z.15th ed. London, England: Hodder Arnold; 2011:349.
- Seller RH. Differential Diagnosis of Common Complaints. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:269.
- Knee and leg. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/menus/leg.cfm. Accessed Jan. 25, 2013.
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1807/0.html. Accessed Jan. 25, 2013.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 3, 2013.