Prostate brachytherapy (brak-e-THER-uh-pee) is a form of radiation therapy used to treat prostate cancer. Prostate brachytherapy involves placing devices containing radiation in the prostate gland close to the cancer cells.
Prostate brachytherapy procedures vary based on the type of radiation you'll receive. Temporary prostate brachytherapy involves placing radioactive wires in the prostate gland for several minutes before the wires are removed. Permanent prostate brachytherapy involves placing radioactive seeds in the prostate gland permanently, where they slowly release radiation.
The goal of prostate brachytherapy is to place the radiation close to the cancer cells, where the radiation can kill the cancer cells while causing less damage to healthy tissue nearby. Prostate brachytherapy side effects can include difficulty urinating and erectile dysfunction.
Nov. 23, 2016
- Prostate cancer. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/prostate/index.html. Accessed Sept. 26, 2016.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Radiation therapy for prostate cancer. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://wwwclinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- What is brachytherapy? American Brachytherapy Society. https://www.americanbrachytherapy.org/aboutbrachytherapy/whatis.cfm. Accessed Oct. 15, 2016.
- Chao MWT, et al. Brachytherapy: State-of-the-art radiotherapy in prostate cancer. BJUI International. 2015;116 (suppl 3):S80.
- Prostate cancer treatment. National Institutes of Health. https://www.cancer.gov/types/prostate/hp/prostate-treatment-pdq#section/all. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- Brachytherapy. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=brachy. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- Radiation therapy for prostate cancer. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostatecancer/detailedguide/prostate-cancer-treating-radiation-therapy. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Prostate cancer. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Roach M, et al. Brachytherapy for localized prostate cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- Alizad A, et al. Application of vibro-acoustography in prostate tissue imaging. Medical Physics. 2013;40:022902-01.
- Davis BJ, et al. American Brachytherapy Society consensus guidelines for transrectal ultrasound-guided permanent prostate brachytherapy. Brachytherapy. 2012;11:6.