The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Tree Farmer?s Passion for the Outdoors Thrives Thanks to Palliative Care Team
Roger Conklin has a passion for being outdoors. A tree farmer for more than 50 years, Roger looks forward to the changing seasons and experiencing the cycle of planting, growing and harvesting. Over the last two decades, however, health concerns have made his outdoor activities more challenging. During that time, Roger has undergone hip and [...]
Gratitude, and the Voice of Experience
Mark Pearce jokes that, "If something's going to happen, it's going to happen to me." That sentiment isn't hard to understand in someone who has had eight joint replacements (knees, hips and shoulders ? some more than once), has been cardioverted 18 times to restore normal heart rhythm, and had surgery for a brain tumor. [...]
Expertise and rankings
Mayo Clinic surgeons were pioneers in the development of modern surgical techniques and prosthetics for hip replacement surgery. More than 1,500 hip replacements occur at Mayo Clinic annually.
- Learning from experience. The Mayo Clinic Total Joint Registry contains information on every joint replacement surgery performed at Mayo Clinic. The registry helps Mayo Clinic doctors determine which surgical technique and prosthesis type will be the most effective for you.
- Research advances. Mayo researchers have been instrumental in developing, modifying and patenting new prosthesis designs.
- Innovative pain management. Mayo Clinic doctors use new combinations of regional anesthesia and pain relief techniques that can reduce the need for general anesthesia and intravenous narcotic pain medications, which can speed recovery.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked highly performing for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
June 13, 2018
- Hip replacement. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/hip_replacement. Accessed Nov. 8, 2016.
- Erens GA, et al. Total hip arthroplasty. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 8, 2016.
- Total hip replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00377. Accessed Nov. 8, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Hip replacement. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Erens GA, et al. Complications of total hip arthroplasty. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 8, 2016.
- Minimally invasive total hip replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00404. Accessed Nov. 8, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Total hip replacement surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Spangehl MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale Ariz. Dec. 5, 2016.
- Nelson CW. Dr. Mark B. Coventry and total hip arthroplasty. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 1996;71:328.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 12, 2016.