The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Expertise and rankings
- Team approach. At Mayo Clinic, an integrated team of doctors trained in craniofacial surgery, reconstructive surgery, infectious disease management and other specialties evaluates and treats you. Mayo Clinic doctors work with doctors from many other areas to provide the most appropriate care.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors and surgeons have experience performing complex craniofacial surgery and helping people regain function after surgery.
- Efficient system. In Mayo Clinic's system, your transplant doctors and treatment team will examine you, perform your transplant and coordinate follow-up care.
- Research. At Mayo Clinic, you may have access to ongoing clinical trials, research and new treatments.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Explore Mayo Clinic studies testing new treatments, interventions and tests as a means to prevent, detect, treat or manage this disease.
Jan. 16, 2019
- Chim H, et al. Vascularized composite allotransplant in the realm of regenerative plastic surgery. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2014;89:1009.
- Pomahac B, et al. Three patients with full facial transplantation. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012;366:715.
- Dorafshar H, et al. Total face, double jaw, and tongue transplantation: An evolutionary concept. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2013;131:241.
- Mohan R, et al. Aesthetic and functional facial transplantation: A classification system and treatment algorithm. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal. 2014;133:386.
- Khalifian S, et al. Facial transplantation: The first 9 years. The Lancet. In press. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- Rodriguez ED, et al. Facial transplant. In: Plastic Surgery: Volume 3: Craniofacial, Head and Neck Surgery and Pediatric Plastic Surgery. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2018. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 30, 2018.
- Barret JP. From partial to full-face transplantation: Total ablation and restoration, a change in the reconstructive paradigm. International Journal of Surgery. 2014;12:109.
- Singhal D, et al. The Brigham and women's hospital face transplant program: A look back. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2012;192:81.
- Smeets R, et al. Face transplantation: On the verge of becoming clinical routine? BioMed Research International. In press. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Bueno EM, et al. A multidisciplinary protocol for face transplantation at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery. 2011;64:1572.
- Cavadas PC, et al. Surgical aspects of a lower face, mandible, and tongue allotransplantation. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. 2012;28:43.
- Anis KM, et al. Smoking and solid organ transplantation. American Journal of Medicine. 2018, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2018.11.005.
- Petruzzo P, et al. First human face transplantation: 5 years outcomes. Transplantation. 2012;93:236.
- Cendales L, et al. Implementation of vascularized composite allografts in the United States: Recommendations from the ASTS VCA Ad Hoc Committee and the Executive Committee. American Journal of Transplantation. 2011;11:13.
- Diaz-Siso JR, et al. Facial allotransplantation: A 3-year follow-up report. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery. 2013;66:1458.