Departments and specialties
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States,
with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work
together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Departments with related expertise
Face transplant care at Mayo Clinic
Jan. 16, 2019
- Chim H, et al. Vascularized composite allotransplant in the realm of regenerative plastic surgery. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2014;89:1009.
- Pomahac B, et al. Three patients with full facial transplantation. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012;366:715.
- Dorafshar H, et al. Total face, double jaw, and tongue transplantation: An evolutionary concept. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2013;131:241.
- Mohan R, et al. Aesthetic and functional facial transplantation: A classification system and treatment algorithm. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal. 2014;133:386.
- Khalifian S, et al. Facial transplantation: The first 9 years. The Lancet. In press. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- Rodriguez ED, et al. Facial transplant. In: Plastic Surgery: Volume 3: Craniofacial, Head and Neck Surgery and Pediatric Plastic Surgery. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2018. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 30, 2018.
- Barret JP. From partial to full-face transplantation: Total ablation and restoration, a change in the reconstructive paradigm. International Journal of Surgery. 2014;12:109.
- Singhal D, et al. The Brigham and women's hospital face transplant program: A look back. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2012;192:81.
- Smeets R, et al. Face transplantation: On the verge of becoming clinical routine? BioMed Research International. In press. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Bueno EM, et al. A multidisciplinary protocol for face transplantation at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery. 2011;64:1572.
- Cavadas PC, et al. Surgical aspects of a lower face, mandible, and tongue allotransplantation. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. 2012;28:43.
- Anis KM, et al. Smoking and solid organ transplantation. American Journal of Medicine. 2018, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2018.11.005.
- Petruzzo P, et al. First human face transplantation: 5 years outcomes. Transplantation. 2012;93:236.
- Cendales L, et al. Implementation of vascularized composite allografts in the United States: Recommendations from the ASTS VCA Ad Hoc Committee and the Executive Committee. American Journal of Transplantation. 2011;11:13.
- Diaz-Siso JR, et al. Facial allotransplantation: A 3-year follow-up report. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery. 2013;66:1458.
News from Mayo Clinic