Departments and specialties
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States,
with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work
together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Departments with related expertise
Doctors who perform this procedure
Displaying 1-1 out of 1 doctors available
- Critical Care Specialist
- Jacksonville, FL
Areas of focus:
Mechanical circulatory support device implantation, Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, Kidney injury
Mayo Clinic surgeons are among the world's most experienced, performing some of the world's first open-heart surgeries in children using a heart-lung machine developed here. Mayo medical professionals and researchers continue to develop new ECMO innovations to improve care and patient outcomes.
Mayo Clinic doctors trained in heart conditions (cardiologists), heart surgery (cardiac surgeons), lung conditions (pulmonologists), transplantation and critical care medicine study extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. You may have the opportunity to participate in clinical trials. Learn more about cardiovascular research in the Cardiovascular Research Center.
See a list of publications about ECMO by Mayo Clinic doctors on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) care at Mayo Clinic
July 30, 2020
- AskMayoExpert. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO). Mayo Clinic; 2019.
- Office of Patient Education. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO). Mayo Clinic; 2017.
- Office of Patient Education. Your child and ECMO. Mayo Clinic; 2018.
- Kalvelage EL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. April 2, 2020.
- Bohman JK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. April 9, 2020.
- Nasr DM, et al. Neurologic complications of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Journal of Clinical Neurology. 2015;11:383.
- Mehta H, et al. Indications and complications for VA-ECMO for cardiac failure. https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2015/07/14/09/27/indications-and-complications-for-va-ecmo-for-cardiac-failure. Accessed April 5, 2020.
- Makdisi G, et al. Extra corporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) review of a lifesaving technology. Journal of Thoracic Disease. 2015; doi:10.3978/j.issn.2072-1439.2015.07.17.
- Clinical management of severe acute respiratory infection when novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) infection is suspected—interim guidance. World Health Organization. https://www.who.int/publications-detail/clinical-management-of-severe-acute-respiratory-infection-when-novel-coronavirus-(ncov)-infection-is-suspected. Accessed April 6, 2020.
- Ramanathan K, et al. Planning and provision of ECMO services for severe ARDS during the COVID-19 pandemic and other outbreaks of emerging infectious diseases. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine. 2020; doi:10.1016/S2213-2600(20)30121-1.
- Gray WS (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. April 9, 2020.
News from Mayo Clinic
Products & Services
Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)