Departments and specialties
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States,
with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work
together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Departments with related expertise
Areas that research this procedure
Because carotid angioplasty and stenting is a recent, less invasive procedure, researchers are still studying its long-term ability to treat carotid artery disease. Mayo Clinic investigators conducted the Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy Versus Stenting Trial (CREST), which compared carotid endarterectomy with carotid angioplasty and stenting outcomes.
See a list of publications about carotid angioplasty and stenting by Mayo Clinic doctors on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Carotid angioplasty and stenting care at Mayo Clinic
Nov. 09, 2017
- Cameron JL, et al. Balloon angioplasty and stents in carotid artery occlusive disease. In: Current Surgical Therapy. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2017.
- Carotid artery disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/catd/catd_all.html. Accessed Aug. 29, 2017.
- Chaikof EL, et al. General principles of endovascular therapy: Angioplasty, stenting, recanalization, and embolization. In: Atlas of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014.
- Mohler ER, et al. Management of symptomatic carotid atherosclerotic disease. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Aug. 29, 2017.
- Angioplasty and vascular stenting. Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=angioplasty. Accessed Aug. 29, 2017.
- Fairman RM, et al. Carotid artery stenting and its complications. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Aug. 29, 2017.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 13, 2017.
- Cloft H (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 26, 2017.
- Jauch EC, et al. Guidelines for the early management of patients with acute ischemic stroke: A guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke. 2013;44:870.
News, connections and conversations for your health
Carotid angioplasty and stenting